Australia Quartet, UTS Ensemble in Residence
Veronique Serret (violin), James Wannan (viola)
Tamara-Anna Cislowska (piano), Thomas Rann (cello)
Photo ©William Yang 2011
Australia Quartet brings together four of Australia’s most highly regarded young chamber musicians — pianist Tamara-Anna Cislowska, violinist Veronique Serret, violist James Wannan and cellist Thomas Rann — who each enjoy busy soloist and chamber music careers, playing for the major Australian symphony orchestras, the ACO, Sydney Festival, Musica Viva, and the Australian Festival of Chamber Music. Sharing numerous international awards between them, including a Churchill Fellowship and a 2012 Art Music Award, the musicians’ overseas engagements include London Philharmonic Orchestra, Verbier Festival, the Frick Collection (New York), and at the Concertgebouw, Wigmore Hall and St Martin-in-the-Fields.
Australia Quartet's mission is to spur new interest in classical music by championing contemporary Australian composers, breathing new life into rarely-performed masterpieces, and presenting the best-loved works of the piano quartet canon to both new, and familiar audiences.
Since 2011, AQ have been making their mark on Australia’s chamber music scene with their annual 4-concert series playing consistently to capacity audiences at the University of Technology, where the Quartet is Ensemble in Residence. Following highly successful concerts including for the acclaimed DIFFUSE series and an invited tour to Mauritius, their profile has steadily grown with regional concerts and live broadcasts on ABC Classic FM (on Sunday Live), on Fine Music 102.5FM, and a successful national tour to Melbourne Recital Centre and Adelaide’s Elder Hall in 2013 along with their inaugural concert series at the Independent Theatre, North Sydney. AQ also make their debut at the Sydney Opera House in October 2013.
In 2014 their association with UTS will expand in new directions, with six projects across the university, including collaborations with the Animation, Architecture and Design Departments and leading Sydney-based composers.
UTS Chamber Series 2013
- Please see our Facebook page
- Australia Quartet’s Transfigured Night was a night of celebration, Kate Tribe, classikON
- Concert review: Australia Quartet 'Transfigured Night', Shamistha de Soysa, SoundsLikeSydney
- Australia Quartet celebrates Halloween: event information from Experience Sydney, Limelight, ABC Sydney and What's On, Sydney
- Extended interview from ABC Classic FM breakfast jam (Friday 19 April)
- Interview with Tamara Anna Cislowska (SOUNDBOARD April Issue 2013)
- If you can’t beat it, join it (UTS:Newsroom, 17 April 203)
- Concert 4 review: Australia Quartet at UTS, Kate Tribe, classikON
- Concert 3 review: Standing room only, Kate Tribe, classikON