Basic maths skills - primary education students
Basic maths skills test
To ensure that all students have a minimum level of competency in primary school mathematics, all primary education students are required to sit a basic skills test.
The next Basic Skills Test will be held on Tuesday 16 April in Room 2.2.25 at 10 am-12 noon.
- are required to achieve a minimum mark of 80% on this test to pass Mathematics Teaching and Learning 1,
- getting a mark between 70% and 80% may sit the test again,
- who get below 70% have to participate in the HotMaths website (link opens external site),
- will have personal tuition available for one hour each week of semester.
Students who have not achieved the minimum mastery mark of 80% after three attempts at the test need to consult with the course director as to alternative pathways.
You will be given login and password details by email when you are enrolled.
You may find the following practice test useful for practising your skills:
- Primary Mathematics Skills Test Practice 1 (PDF, 37kB)
Basic maths skills course
The Basic Skills Course is no longer run.
2 Unit Mathematics
Before the end of your degree, primary education students need to have completed:
- 2 Unit Mathematics on your HSC,
- General Mathematics 2 (minimum band 4) on your HSC, or
- the UTS: Education Maths Study Centre's 2 Unit Foundation Mathematics course.
2 Unit Foundation Mathematics course
The 2 Unit Foundation Mathematics course is run by:
UTS: Education Maths Study Centre at Kuring-gai campus.
Email: Judyth.Hayne@uts.edu.au with enquiries.
The course is generally offered every 1 to 2 years. Participants are expected to attend at least 85% of the class hours.
It is a free course that is only run if there are sufficient enrolments. You must contact Judyth.Hayne@uts.edu.au to confirm your booking.