Welcome to the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
At the Faculty we specialise in communication, education and international studies. We have a strong practice orientation with a focus on technology, creativity and internationalism, supported and enhanced by academic expertise in linguistics, cultural studies and the social sciences.
We have over 5000 students and 200 academic and professional support staff. Many of our academic staff have national and international reputations in creative and professional fields such as writing, filmmaking, new media, journalism, advertising, public relations, information and media, cultural studies, teacher education, adult education and international studies.
The Faculty offers a range of courses in three course areas:
Many of the staff teaching our degrees are also highly reputed researchers, and we have about 300 students undertaking research degrees. We house or play a key role a number of research centres, including five that have been recognised as UTS: Research strengths. We place high value on our academic, creative and professional courses, on creativity, problem solving and research skills, and on social advocacy, community service and contribution to public debates.
Employers in our areas value resumes that show initiative and practical application. The Faculty provides many opportunities for initiative, not just in the context of the course programs, but also, for example, through:
- UTS: Shopfront, a community research and advocacy centre;
- UTS Writers' Anthology, a commercially published annual compilation of students' writing;
- Golden Eye Awards, a biennial film, sound and new media screening event; and
- 2SER-FM, a radio station staffed by student volunteers.
All our education undergraduate courses have strong professional experience programs, including the opportunity to do overseas prac trips in China, Samoa and Thailand.
Our faculty is located on both UTS campuses, from the:
- City campus on Broadway - courses in Communication, Adult Education and International Studies, and
- Kuring-gai campus, located near Chatswood and the beautiful Lane Cove National Park - courses in primary and secondary education.
We hope your time with us will be rewarding and enjoyable, and will prepare you well for your future.
Further information about the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences: